Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Colby Franklin Dennis Research

I went to the library today to pick up my photocopies of the Rasco book I ordered through Interlibrary Loan. They had another book I had ordered through ILL - Samuel Bell Maxey: Biography, by Louise Horton, 1974. I was puzzled because I didn't remember ordering the book and I had no idea why I ordered it. I used the search within all documents feature on my pc to find any "Maxey" references. I finally found it in a family tree genealogy report I had exported and saved on Dec 4, 2008. Evidently, my ancestor, Colby Franklin Dennis, had served under this Samuel Bell Maxey in the Civil War. I found notes I had copied in Colby's file in my family tree maker software which made reference to this. The notes made reference to Louise Horton's book about Samuel Maxey, a draft version; however, I was not able to find this exact book that supposedly mentioned my Dennis ancestor. This book I ordered through ILL was the next closest thing. Although this book did not specifically mention my ancestor, it did outline Maxey's journey through the Civil War, which matched up with the abstracted Civil War records that I copied from Ron Brother's online cemetery and death database. I was a bit disappointed that the book did not mention anything about my ancestor having gone missing or being a POW. I don't believe Maxey was as known for his Civil War service as he was his service in the Indian Territory or as a Senator of the state of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment