Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Tate Family Connection...via DNA



Last year I started communicating with one of my Family Tree DNA Family Finder autosomal DNA matches. She matched to my paternal grandmother. This means she is a match on my Father’s side. We compared our surnames and soon realized that we had a common TATE ancestor. Henry Tate and Sarah Netherland were my 7th great-grandparents (and my grandmother’s 5th great-grandparents). They were my match’s 6th great grandparents. This makes my grandmother and her match 6th cousins, 1x removed. This is spot on according to ftDNA's relationship prediction. They predicted that my grandmother and her match were 5th to Remote cousins. 6th cousins fit right in.


Although my match did not have my 6th great-grandmother Ann Nancy Tate who married James Anthony in her genealogy, she did have a daughter named Mary Tate who married Chesley Davis. I had Mary Tate in MY database and she was married to Chesley Davis but I did not have their children or grandchildren’s names. I knew Mary Tate had married Chesley Davis because her father, Henry Tate, had mentioned her in his 1793 Campbell County, Virginia will as “daughter - Mary Davis wife of Chesley Davis.” I shared a copy of Henry Tate’s will with my match and she was able to add all of Mary’s siblings to her tree, including my ancestor, Ann Nancy Tate who married James Anthony. This is one of the benefits of autosomal testing - building out your tree with information you collect from your matches.

I was able to add 12 new family members to my database just from my match’s direct line alone! That’s 7 generations of children and siblings I have yet to include; These are what we call the “collateral lines.”

In my next post, I will show the relationship report I made between my grandmother and her match. I will also share how I made it and how it can benefit my research.




Mario Photo:
Copied from Monkey In The Cage website, 2 July 2013. 

To Cite This Post:
Ginger R. Smith, "A Tate Family ConnectionGenealogy By Ginger, 03 July 2013, (http://www.genealogybyginger.blogspot.com : accessed [date])

No comments:

Post a Comment